We are always looking for volunteers to assist with our activities and programming. Anyone is welcome to apply, hearing, hard of hearing or deaf.
Why volunteer with us?
Deaf and hard of hearing individuals will have the opportunities to be role models for the younger generations, sharing personal experiences informally through casual conversations. For the general population, you will be able to gain an understanding and awareness related to the deaf and hard of hearing community. This is especially relevant if you are interested in special education, health care, audiology and social work. We strive to match your strengths and interests so that you also benefit from the experience.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Help out with events (evenings and weekends)
- Set-up/clean-up (incl. technology)
- Welcome arrivals, check them in,
- Interact with participants (encourage them to try activities)
- Working with coordinators to brainstorm ideas and provide suggestions for growth in our events
- Other positions can include, but not limited to: guest panelist/presenter, blog contributor, etc.
- Able to manage time and be organized (e.g., respond to emails regularly)
- Able to initiate appropriate conversations with children and youth
- Work well in various settings (e.g., outdoor events, indoor workshops)
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of the team
- Previous experience working with a Deaf/Hard of Hearing youth is an asset
Criminal Record Check
As the majority of the youth participating in the program are under 19, volunteers are required to complete a criminal record check before they can be put in contact with a minor.
We will provide a certificate of involvement upon request and a letter of reference upon participating in at least 3 events. For high school students seeking to complete their hours for grad transition, a letter of acknowledgement will be provided.
Please send your resume and statement of interest to email@example.com, with subject heading: General Volunteer Application – [YOUR NAME].